dick

Default More OT BBQ stuff (was Baching it)

I think the place he refers to is Maurice's BBQ.
This is the place that hit national news when he took down the American Flag
and replaced with confederate flag while the boycott of south carolina was
going on.

http://www.mauricesbbq.com/critics.htm

"Dale Williams" > wrote in message
> >FWIW, I agree with Dick. The folks on the Southeastern seaboard are
> >_really_ nice - but from what I've tasted they do a truly _horrible_ job

of
> >BBQ. Just what _is_ that sour, mustardy sh__ they put on it anyway? And
> >what's with the dill pickle slices? Why is the meat so dry? Bleacch!
> >

> Not to prolong this too much, but I don't know where you were eating!

Mustard
> sounds like South Carolina (yet another genre). I've never actually seen

dill
> pickle slices on BBQ In any region). Good BBQ is never dry, but bad

preparation
> is possible anywhere (I had Texan BBQ once that had brisket as chewy as

skirt
> steak-I couldn't figure out how they managed that).
>
> The major American regional BBQ styles I know:
>
> North Carolina - slow-cooked pork. Meat is shredded or chopped, never

sliced.
> a) Eastern- pork shoulder or whole pigs, with thin sauce of vinegar with

salt,
> hot pepper flakes, and a little sugar. Served on plates, on on buns with a

(no
> mayo) coleslaw
> b) Western- mostly pork shoulder, with a little tomato in the sauce (but

not
> enough to make it thick).
>
> I wouldn't call South Carolina a major style, but its pork shoulder with a
> vinegar, molasses, & mustard sauce.
>
> TN/Memphis
> Dry rubbed ribs.
>
> Kansas City
> Wet ribs. Thick sweet sauce.
>
> Texas
> Sliced brisket, with a red sauce (more peppery than sweet).
>
> You can certainly find other foods BBQed in each of these areas (most NC

places
> also have chicken, Memphis joints do beef, Texas does lots of animals, as

well