Ian Hoare

Default Sacramental Wine

Salut/Hi Vino,

le/on Mon, 10 May 2004 02:53:58 GMT, tu disais/you said:-

>>on Sun, 09 May 2004 00:51:05 GMT, Vino said:-

>>>there is no prohibition against using the word Tokay, but it's
>>>kind of meaningless.

>>Apart from the fact that it's yet another example of US names using European
>>area names as if they were generic, possibly not. It may not be illegal in
>>the USA, but I would argue that it ought to be.

>I'll not argue with you on this one.

I know you don't, Vino, and in fact I think most of us on this NG are in
more or less complete agreement. We may not agree 100% on the level to which
consumers are deceived (or if they are at all), we may not agree 100% on
whether _today_ winemakers (ab)using geographical names do so with
deliberate intent to deceive, but I think that pretty well everyone agrees
that it would be better if wines were sold under their _own_ merits.
--
All the Best
Ian Hoare