Tom S

Default Sacramental Wine

"Ian Hoare" > wrote in message
> I would argue that
> it ought to be illegal (and probably is) in Europe to use the name "Napa
> Valley" for - say - Zinfandel.

??? Now you have confused me, Ian. Are you saying that someone in Europe
who produced Zinfandel there should not call it "Napa Valley" or "Napa
Valley Zinfandel"? Either is a bit unlikely I'd say. Do Europeans even
grow something sold as Zinfandel, or could that now be considered to be a
California proprietary name?

> >I'll not include any tasting notes here.

> Very sensible, as transubstantiationalists would probably regard it as
> blasphemous!

LOL! Good one. :^D

Actually, I think the blasphemy - if it be such - is more in
> using a morally reprehensible name for something that is destined for a

holy
> purpose.

Blasphemy requires deliberate intent to blaspheme, which is a very high
standard to obtain. I doubt that the average parish priest is at all aware
of the European sensitivity about use of their place names in such fashion,
so this doesn't count as blasphemy. Those who are (aware) probably consider
it a very venial matter indeed, and not at all relevant to whether wine
thusly labeled should be consecrated. The overriding consideration is
whether the wine in question _tastes_ good enough to be worthy of
consecration.

Tom S