Ian Hoare

Default Sacramental Wine

Salut/Hi Vino,

le/on Sun, 09 May 2004 00:51:05 GMT, tu disais/you said:-

>store. The label has a logo which incorporates the words "Mont La
>Salle Altar Wine". Everything else on the label is simple text in
>various size fonts, all in upper case with one exception as noted. It
>reads:
>
>Pure California
>Tokay (in script letters with the largest font on the label)
>Approved for sacramental use
>Alcohol 18.0% by volume
>Cellared and bottled by
>Mont La Salle Altar Wine Company
>Sanger, California

>The color of the wine is similar to a tawny Port and it is sweet.
>Anyone have a clue as to what this is?

Factually? No idea. However it sounds very much like the liquids sold as
"Tokay" in the Rutherglen area of Australia, though some of these are very
agreeable as wine.

>etc., there is no prohibition against using the word Tokay, but it's
>kind of meaningless. Perhaps some coloring is also added.

Apart from the fact that it's yet another example of US names using European
area names as if they were generic, possibly not. It may not be illegal in
the USA, but I would argue that it ought to be. Just as I would argue that
it ought to be illegal (and probably is) in Europe to use the name "Napa
Valley" for - say - Zinfandel.

>I'll not include any tasting notes here.

Very sensible, as transubstantiationalists would probably regard it as
blasphemous! Actually, I think the blasphemy - if it be such - is more in
using a morally reprehensible name for something that is destined for a holy
purpose.
--
All the Best
Ian Hoare