Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Lewis Perin Lewis Perin is offline

Default Chinese Sencha Tea

brigman > writes:

>Hello Usenet,
>
>My wife recently attended a restaurant in Perth, Western Australia,
>and ordered a tea that was labelled as "Chinese Sencha Tea". The brew
>was an amber colour and had a taste that, while not sweet, lacked any
>of the bitterness of traditional green tea. The flavour also had
>apricot undertones.
>
>Can anyone help us identify the exact type of tea, and possibly a
>supplier?

It sounds as if what you're looking for is Chinese green tea made by
steaming (as in Japanese sencha) rather baking or frying the leaves.
You might find tea like this under the rubric Yu Lu (Chinese characters
玉露) or Zheng Qing (蒸青). It's also possible that Jin Shan Shi Yu (金
山时雨) is made by steaming, but I'm not sure.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /