Posted to rec.food.cooking
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Old rice

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 07:46:32 -1000, dsi1 > wrote:

>On 9/17/2010 3:11 AM, James Silverton wrote:
>>
>> I don't think it should be necessary to rinse rice before cooking and I
>> have used a Japanese rice cooker for 30 years.
>>

>You're right about this. They say you don't have to wash the rice coated
>with glucose (!) instead of talc but I never could bring myself to not
>wash my rice. It's a cultural difference, I think.

They say, who's they...

Fortified/enriched rice shouldn't be washed or the added nutrition
will be removed. ALL rice imported into the US must be well washed to
remove the raw sewage. Talc han't been used on import rice in the US
for many years.

http://www.nytimes.com/1981/02/08/us...led-peril.html

http://www.epicurious.com/tools/food...=14&submit.y=7