Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Good eats

On 9/11/2010 7:48 PM, Jim Macey wrote:
> On 9/9/2010 11:52 AM, George Shirley wrote:
>> Just took a loaf of bread out of the freezer last night. Baked in the
>> machine about two weeks ago. This one is made with peanut butter. Was
>> craving something sweet so toasted an end slice, slathered it with
>> homemade raspberry fig jam and ate it. The peanut butter flavor came
>> through nicely with the raspberry fig flavor on the top note. This one
>> is going to be a winner.
>>
>> The raspberry fig jam is made with No Sugar added raspberry flavor
>> Jello and crushed figs. I've also made cherry fig jam using the Jello
>> and, next year, if we get figs, will make black cherry fig jam. Recipe
>> is an old one from a 1964 Texas Extension Service pamphlet. Anyone
>> wants the recipe to either the bread or the jam drop me an off group
>> email or I will post it here if there is enough demand.
>>
>> George, hoping for rain

> Yes, on both counts. Tks.
>
> Jim...in New Mexico

Flavored fig preserves

4 cups sugar
one 3-oz. pkg. fruit flavored gelatin
4 cups figs

Combine sugar and gelatin. Grind or chop figs, including peel. Combine
all ingredients. Cook on on medium high until the consistency of honey.
Pour into clean warm jars, seal, process for 10 minutes in boiling water
bath. Remove from BWB, do no tighten lids after processing.

I have doubled and tripled the recipe when the fig tree produced enough
figs. I use sugar free gelatin as there is enough sugar in the jam to
cover that. I have also made it with Splenda and added a tablespoon of
lemon juice or a thin sliced lemon into the mix.

Peanut Butter Bread

1-pound loaf

3/4 cup water 2 cups bread flour 2 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 tspn salt 1/3 cup peanut butter 1 tspn yeast (bread machine)

Add ingredients to your bread machine pan in the order given. Use your
choice of creamy or crunchy peanut butter. This recipe can be used with
the regular, rapid, or delayed time bake cycles.

1 1/2 pound loaf

1 1/4 cups water 3 cups bread flour 1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tspn salt 1/2 cup peanut butter 2 tspns yeast

I had a slice of the bread, toasted, with Barb's plum jelly on it for my
noon meal today. Right combination for a peanut butter and jelly
sandwich with having to add the peanut butter.

Enjoy.