Emery Davis

Default Varietal or Appellation

On 28 Apr 2004 09:25:34 GMT, Michael Pronay > said:

] (Ivan Debono) wrote:=20
]=20
] > I'm no wine expert and I was wondering what's the difference=20
] > between varietal and appellation. Or are just the same thing?=20
]=20

Getting ready to reply, but Michael has (as usual) done so admirably:

] "Varietal" - better "variety" - refers to the grape variety; there=20
] are a few hundreds (if not thousand) grown commercially around the=20
] world.=20
]=20
] "Appellation" means "geografic provenance" of a given wine. If=20
] official, many appellations also rule the grape varieties=20
] permitted. In the C=F4te d'Or in Burgundy, i.e., whites wines can=20
] only be made from the chardonnay, and red wines from the pinot=20
] noir grape, while in Ch=E2teauneuf-du-Pape 13 varieties are=20
] permitted.=20

How about Bourgogne Aligot=E9? Or Bourgogne Passetoutgrain,=20
where up to 2/3 gamay is allowed? (The rest being pinot).

You know all this of course Michael, but I couldn't resist anyway.

-E

--=20
Emery Davis
You can reply to