Posted to alt.food.diabetic
W. Baker W. Baker is offline

Default chuck eye roast vs minute roast?

Ellen K. > wrote:
: Sounds yummy.

: How amusing, to find your own recipe by googling!!!

My younger son saaid he had found it in several places on google, so I
waned to try it:-) My Imber recipe, for Pesach is also supposed to be
running around. this i can testify to as I occasionaly get a question
from a stranger about the recipe. I wold not send it to thie group as it
consists of honey, matza farfel, groound nuts and ginger. The nuts
andginger might be ok, but the ret would be problematic, to say the
least:-)

Wendy

: "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: ...
: > Here is my recipe for my caramelized brisket. It is an old family recipe
: > and never fails. You can use eithe a brisket or a top of the rib,
: > slightly leaner and cheaper, but the same kind of ropey grain. This time
: > I found it by Googling!
: >
: > Wendy
: >
: > Brisket, Caramelized (M, KLP, TNT)
: > Source: Celia C. Wisan to W. Baker
: > Serves: 6-12 depending on the size of the brisket
: > 1 first cut brisket or top of the rib-3-7 lbs.
: > 2-4 garlic cloves, peeled
: > salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
: > 1-3 onions thinly sliced
: > 3-4 fresh tomatoes (summer) or 4-5 canned plum tomatoes drained. Use juice
: > for another recipe. Do not use more tomatoes
: > 1-3 bay leaves
: >
: > At least one day before cooking, put slivers of garlic in slits all over
: > the brisket. Rub it well with freshly ground black pepper and optionally,
: > salt. Slice onions and arrange all over and under the roast. Marinate
: > covered in the fridge overnight.
: >
: > Day of cooking: Preheat oven to 500 F--that's 500 !
: >
: > Put meat in a roasting pan with a cover and arrange the onion slices from
: > the night before all around.
: >
: > Squash either 3 medium fresh tomatoes or use about 4 canned egg tomatoes
: > and squash them. DO NOT ADD THE JUICE FROM THE CAN. ADD NO OTHER LIQUID
: > add a bay leaf or two.
: >
: > Cover the pan and put it into the preheated 500F oven. After 15 minutes
: > turn
: > down the oven without opening it to 350 F. Cook for approximately 3 hours.
: > If you look in after 2 hours or so you will see a gray mass with lots of
: > liquid. Don't worry. Just keep cooking.
: >
: > When the water has just about disappeared and the meat and onions etc. are
: > browned, but not quite burnt, and the meat is soft to a fork, it is done.
: >
: > Remove the meat from the pan and make gravy by deglazing the pan with lots
: > of water (more than a quart to start, it can always be reduced) and
: > cooking it down until it tastes rich and nice to you. It should make
: > plenty of gravy as the pan drippings are intensely strong.
: >
: > Slice the meat across the grain and serve with the gravy. Roast potatoes
: > or kasha go well with this.
: >
: > This lends itself to preparation ahead of time and freezes well. When
: > reheating, bring the sliced meat to room temperature and heat the gravy to
: > boiling. Then pour it over the meat. Heating the meat in the gravy gives
: > it a boiled rather than roasted taste and is not as good.
: >
: > Posted by Wendy Baker
: >