Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Ellen K. Ellen K. is offline

Default Ellen's breakfast vis-?-vis morning readings

Janet,

Your family experience may be prescriptive for you. It is not prescriptive
for me.

If you are interested to learn more about the issues I mentioned, here are
two url's you can look at:

http://www.friendswithdiabetes.org/guides.html - download the pdf Tishrei
5764 part 2 in the Tishrei section. This is written from the (litvishe)
Ashkenazi standpoint, does not mention that anyone else holds differently,
and includes in a box on page 2 some examples of how big a kezayis is for
different bread types according to this shita.

http://www.berachot.org/halacha/13_shiurkazayis.html
The first part of this goes into quite some detail about the (litvishe)
Ashkenazi method of calculating a kezayis. Toward the bottom of the page
the Sephardi method is discussed. Near the top they also have a diagram
illustrating how different a kezayis looks depending on the original shape
of the food, i.e. a kezayis of matzo looks a lot bigger (still by the
Ashkenazi method). In the middle of the page are detailed explanations of
how to calculate a kezayis for different shapes of foods according to the
Ashkenazi shita.

Here are a few important sentences from this article, which the author notes
are summarized from Rav Bodner's "Halachos of K'zayis":

"if someone ate less then a k'zayis of bread he is not required, nor
PERMITED to bentch."

"Knowing how much food equals k'zayis is not an easy matter. A k'zayis is a
measure of volume. (Volume - the amount of space the item occupies). Two
items which when measured have the same volume; will often not be perceived
as such."
"The Mishna Berura and most Poskim rule that with regard to brocha achrona
we adopt the most stringent view, not to make a brocha achrona unless one
ate an amount equal to ½ an egg."

Thank you,

Ellen