Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default chuck eye roast vs minute roast?

On 9/5/2010 4:45 PM, Ellen K. wrote:
> Thanks very much for the new year greeting and same to you.
>
> How I used to make brisket was:
>
> Put a large piece of heavy duty tinfoil in the pan.
> Slice some onions very thin and put some of them on the tinfoil.
> Salt the meat on both sides, and put it fat side up on top of the onions.
> Put the rest of the onions on top.
> Cover and refrigerate at least an hour.
> Uncover and put about a cup of water in the pan.
> Brown about 20 minutes at 450-500 depending on the oven.
> Turn the meat over (using the tinfoil) and brown another 20 minutes.
> Turn the oven down to 325, turn the meat over again, make sure there are
> lots of onions on top, add more water, cover, and cook 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
>
> Does this help with the answer?

I usually don't salt my meat, but lots of onions is a good thing. I also
like to put a little beef broth in the foil and a little bit of dry red
wine. I think it helps to tenderize the meat. I like to season it with
garlic, bay leaf, thyme and margerom and some pepper. Some people won't
do a brisket without a little Heinz ketchup in the braising liquid.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas