Posted to rec.food.cooking
Giusi Giusi is offline

Default Pasta with smoked mussels and basil cream sauce

"Julian Vrieslander" ha scritto nel messaggio
> Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> I usually smoke my own mussels but I saw a brand the other day that>>
>> were on the half shell and cryovaced flat to a stiff board - about a
>> dozen in there. Were yours similar? I'd like to try them to see how>>
>> mine compare.

> The ones I bought were just loose (without shells) in the usual foam >
> tray with clear shrinkwrap.

> Your method, smoking them at home, sounds like a much better deal. How >
> do you do it? How long do they keep after they've been smoked?

One of my favorite restaurant meals as a teenager was smoked oysters at a
barbecue joint in Jacksonville Beach, FL. They were just laid on a grid
over smokey wood coals until the opened then served piled up on metal beer
trays. No reason why one couldn't do mussels exactly the same way?

Inside, I would attempt to smoke them in a pot with a foil packet of brown
sugar.