Posted to rec.food.cooking
Julian Vrieslander[_3_] Julian Vrieslander[_3_] is offline

Default Pasta with smoked mussels and basil cream sauce

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> I usually smoke my own mussels but I saw a brand the other day that
> were on the half shell and cryovaced flat to a stiff board - about a
> dozen in there. Were yours similar? I'd like to try them to see how
> mine compare.

The ones I bought were just loose (without shells) in the usual foam
tray with clear shrinkwrap. Our favorite market also sells
un-prepackaged smoked fish and shellfish from the stacks on ice in the
display case. The smoked mussels were not cheap: $20/lb. We had about
0.6 lb to split between the two of us. That was plenty, since there was
pasta, too.

Your method, smoking them at home, sounds like a much better deal. How
do you do it? How long do they keep after they've been smoked?

--
Julian Vrieslander