Posted to rec.food.cooking
ImStillMags ImStillMags is offline
Banned

Default Wanted: A French Toast Recipe Please.

On Aug 29, 7:04*pm, (e-mail from gene)
wrote:
> I've tried and tried to make great tasting French Toast. I've used my
> Mom's tried and true recipe for over 30 years. Just a basic no frills
> approach of egg dipping a slice of white bread and then frying it. There
> simply must be another way of bringing new life to an old favorite. I
> would be very grateful for any cooking tips you'd care to offer me.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> gene

This is the pain perdu recipe we used at the restaurant both for
Sunday Brunch "fancy" and our everyday breakfast menu. It's yummy.
This recipe is scaled up for more people but you can cut it down to
whatever size fits your needs.

french bread (at least day old)
8 large eggs
4 cup whipping cream
1 cup sugar
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
4 tsps real vanilla extract

1 1/2 cup champagne
2 cup cane syrup
2 cup raspberries
2 cup blueberries
4 tbsps cream cheese --
(optional)
powdered sugar for garnish

Cut bread into 3/4 inch thick diagonal slices.
Whisk together eggs and next 5 ingredients.
Place bread slices in deep pan and pour egg mix evenly over slices.
Let stand 30 minutes till liquid is absorbed.
Cook bread slices in non stick skillet or griddle till firm and golden
and done through.

Cook champagne in large saucepan over high heat till reduced by half.
Gradually stir in syrup and cook till blended and warm.

Arrange bread slices on plate, top with raspberries and blueberries
and cream cheese (if desired) . Drizzle evenly with syrup mixture and
garnish with powdered sugar.

Another option, cut a pocket in the side of the slice of cooked toast
and stuff with cream cheese, put back on griddle for a minute to warm
through and then top and serve.

{We used this egg batter recipe at Hizzoner's for our 'everyday'
French toast with egg bread (Texas toast). You can use that or
sourdough or whatever bread you like for French toast.}

http://www.hizzoners.com/index.php?o...unch&Itemid=70