Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default foodies on special diets

On 8/22/2010 9:32 AM, Alan S wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 04:52:21 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>> Yes, exactly. My doctor feels that almost all diabetics should have
>> some amount of carbohydrates. A total lack of carbohydrates produces
>> a state of ketosis, which can in many individuals be quite dangerous.

> A total lack of carbohydrates is also something which is darn near
> impossible to achieve in a western menu. Or even for an Inuit.
>
> Do you really mean ultra-low-carb, such as Bernstein, or low-carb such
> as Atkins or something else? There are too many loose definitions
> bandied around on the subject of carbs. especially by doctors and
> dieticians. There are also too many who misunderstand the nature and
> risks of ketosis under those circumstances.
>
> Incidentally, I neither follow extreme low carb regimens nor seek
> ketosis, I am just asking for some accuracy and clear definition when
> discussing such subjects.
>
> Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
> d& e; metformin 1500mg

I've done much better with my T2 diabetes since I started taking
everything the doctors say with a grain of salt. I experimented with
different carbohydrates to see what I could safely eat without bouncing
my blood glucose levels too high. I can eat brown rice, whole wheat
pasta, a half a medium sized russet potato, and many multi-grain items
with some impunity. White rice, white breads, white anything tends to
raise my BG reading higher than I like.

Since I started this program my A1C readings are about 6 on the average.
That means my BG readings are consistently around 120.

I use Lantus, 42 to 45 units once daily at 0700, and I use Novolog, a
fast acting insulin before each meal, three to four units. So far so
good for the last four years.