Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young[_2_] Nancy Young[_2_] is offline

Default The scandal of $50k culinary degrees

Cheryl wrote:
> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> notbob wrote:

>>> Be grateful you have an IT job.

>> Make that Had. I did my time.

> Did your time. lol I think I can agree with that. Still doing mine.

It used to be a lot more fun, I bet. Was for me.

> Unfortunately a lot of what I do in addition to tech work is project
> management. Tech project management. Do you know how hard it is to
> "manage" techies on a project?

Yes. (laughing) I do.

> They can't care less about schedules and action items and status reports.

I did care about the schedule, because mine were federal/state
mandated for the most part. Unfortunately, expecting me to draw
up action plans and write status reports sometimes interfered with
my ability to meet a schedule working normal hours.

> Risks? Every job is a risk
> with the cutbacks in staff and funding. Managing a budget is hardly
> possible with the requirements. It's crazy. I'd like to say "I did
> my time" right about now.

I get that, it's tough. It was going on for years while I was still
working,
too. By the time we were bought out, I was fried. I was very lucky
to be able to walk away. All I can say is develop an attitude where
they can't make your life too miserable.

nancy