Brian Boutel

Default TN: Easter weekend wines (and the winners are NZ SB & '02 Sancerre)

Dale Williams wrote:

> I decided to try something else as I finished my sushi
> (just ok, decent fish, but the chef seemed to have a compulsion to dress up the
> nigiri with sauces and garnishes rather than let fish speak for itself). The
> short list said "2002 Gisbourne Chardonnay"- I thought I remembered seeing
> recently notes on an unwooded Chard from Gisbourne, said "what the hell." What
> showed up was the 2002 Brancott Gisbourne Chardonnay. Certainly not unwooded,
> ripe melon and pear fruit under a thick blanket of toasty oak. It was a good
> thing I had finished my sushi, while it would have been a bad match, it made a
> decent dessert. B

Umm... Brancott is the brand name used in the US by Montana Wines -
otherwise there would be geographical confusion. The Brancott Estate is
in Marlborough, and the label is used in NZ for Montana's top SB. In
Gisborne (note no 'u') their top Chardonnay is sold as "Ormond Estate",
and the "Gisborne" is a step down. Both are oaked. Your description
sounds more like the Ormond Estate, but it could be either.

> 2003 Cairnbrae "The Stones" Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc
> I'd never heard of this winery before, but I was very pleased. Complex nose of
> gooseberries, peaches, and mineral, followed by a palate of melon, white
> fruit, and a dash of pepper. Long finish, bright acidity, very nice wine. A-/B+

It's part of Sacred Hill.

--brian

--
Brian Boutel