Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Request help on pickled green tomatoes

On 8/20/2010 9:26 PM, gloria.p wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>> On 8/19/2010 9:49 PM, wrote:
>>> Thanks George,
>>> Do you ever use store bought dried dill? If so how much would you need
>>> per pint of pickled green tomatoes?
>>> John

>> A couple of times John, when my herb garden failed to produce. I
>> always put about a tablespoon of the dried dill leaf in a pint, any
>> more and it can really get strong. The thing to remember about
>> dehydrated herbs is that they are 1.5 to 2 times a strong as fresh herbs.

> Yes, if the dehydrated aren't 10 years old, like many people's herbs and
> spices. ;-)
>
> gloria p

When I get a bumper crop I dehydrate my own, they go into a vacuum
sealed jar that is kept in the dark. I've used them up to three years
old with no problem.

This year I dehydrated eight trays of fernleaf dill, I like it better
than I do the regular dill. One year we saved two quarts of dill seed,
crush a few of those babies and rub them behind your ears, pickle lovers
will follow you everywhere you go. <G>