Posted to rec.food.cooking
notbob notbob is offline

Default The scandal of $50k culinary degrees

On 2010-08-21, brooklyn1 > wrote:

> against through political blackmailing. In CA you practically need a
> Phd to paint nails but need no training whatsoever to prepare food for
> public consumption.

Actually, hairdressing in CA is stringent, but not so for a
manicurist, one point. My daughter did the manicure thing at a long
established cosmotology school. Despite formal schooling being
available, no state license was necessary, though most places did not
hire you unless you had one.

Later, the Vietnamese who immigrated after the war discovered this
and literally took over the industry, all Viet nail shops undercutting
almost everyone else out of the business by the late 80s. This later
ended up being a major problem as the hordes of Viet shops apparently
had cut costs by never changing antiseptic soak baths or whatever they
use and major outbreaks of scarring infections and flesh eating
whatever became common news. Also, no expense on ventilation, so
walking into a Viet nail shop was like entering the gas mask station
on an Army obstacle course. CA may have severly cracked down on the
industry, since then. I hope so, as it had become quite the scandal
at one point.

nb