Posted to rec.food.cooking
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default The scandal of $50k culinary degrees

On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 07:32:58 -0700 (PDT), "critters & me in azusa, ca"
> wrote:

>On Aug 20, 7:14*pm, brooklyn1 > wrote:

>> >On what planet can you get a hairstyling license without schooling?

>> >nb

>> In the US one can get a cosmotologist/hairdresser license by being
>> sponsored by a shop owner, passing a simple test, *and paying the fee.
>> It's more difficult to get a motor vehical operator's license. *I

>not here in california. cosmetology students need 1500 hours of of
>combined classroom and apprentice work at the school of choice, then
>take a state cosmetology licensing exam.
>
>harriet & critters

Seems each state has different requirements. CA appears to be more
stringent than others, they don't even recognize reciprocity. Seems
very political to me to make becoming a hair dresser so costly.

I know that in NY one can enrol in a cosmotology school but many of
the larger salons are licenced to train, and they will aid in
obtaining ones license. NY also accepts reciprocity, so that many
people, especially from other countries can continue working rather
than go on the dole... many Asians are excellent cosmotologists but
can't read or write English, why should that prevent them from earning
a living out in the open and instead force them to operate out of a
basement... no one needs to be literate to do hair and nails. An
apprentice program with paid on the job training is exctly what the US
needs in all vocations to help people become gainfully employed...
it's plain silly to politicize employment by forcing the creation of
unnecessary schools, making those schools wealthy, and filling the
political coffers that pay for more bureaucrats. Those who need
employment the most and are very capabable are being discriminated
against through political blackmailing. In CA you practically need a
Phd to paint nails but need no training whatsoever to prepare food for
public consumption.

http://www.beautyschoolsdirectory.com/faq/state_req.php