Posted to rec.food.cooking
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default The scandal of $50k culinary degrees

On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 07:49:56 -0500, The Cook >
wrote:

>On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 06:45:55 -0400, Mr. Bill > wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 17:27:59 -0700, Dan Abel > wrote:
>>
>>>Don't know about BB, but football in the US is Big Business. The alumni
>>>generally pay for the schooling.

>>No...that wasn't my point. There isn't a "football school" to
>>attend....you don't get a degree in "football". You have the
>>talent before hand. A talent in any profession will not become
>>better just because you have attended "Blah Blah University".
>>

>You don't take a person just out of college (and sometimes high
>school) and put them in the pros if they have never played the sport.
>And you will play better if you are a starter on a team that wins
>games. If you are a starter on a team that makes it to the Bowl games
>or NCAA basketball tournament, you will be much better because you
>have better coaches and have played against better teams
>
>It starts with little league, JV sports, high school sports,
>especially football and basketball. There are sports camps for the
>better players. Then if you are good you get recruited by the
>colleges and given sports scholarships. If you live through that and
>are still in one piece you may get recruited for the pros.

The talent still needs to be present initially... what you described
is grooming and practice... you say it yourself, "if you are good"...
athletes are born, not made. You can't just wake up one morning and
decide you're going to be a chef... anyone can attend a culinary
school, they'll be very happy to take their money, but I'll bet 99% of
those who graduate will never earn a living in the food industry...
anyone with the dollars can buy a culinary degree. Most notable
"chef's" get their degree after they become notable, looks good on
their bio... Julia Child is a good case in point... she was never
much of a cook, she was a media celebrity because she was first.
Professional cooking is nothing like the glamorized rendition seen on
TV... the real deal is hard dirty work, with long hours, zero job
security, and doesn't pay very much. My new neighbor is a cook at
three different NYC restaurants, if not for 100 hour weeks he could
not have bought that very modest country house.