Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Cook The Cook is offline

Default The scandal of $50k culinary degrees

On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 06:45:55 -0400, Mr. Bill > wrote:

>On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 17:27:59 -0700, Dan Abel > wrote:
>
>>Don't know about BB, but football in the US is Big Business. The alumni
>>generally pay for the schooling.

>No...that wasn't my point. There isn't a "football school" to
>attend....you don't get a degree in "football". You have the
>talent before hand. A talent in any profession will not become
>better just because you have attended "Blah Blah University".

You don't take a person just out of college (and sometimes high
school) and put them in the pros if they have never played the sport.
And you will play better if you are a starter on a team that wins
games. If you are a starter on a team that makes it to the Bowl games
or NCAA basketball tournament, you will be much better because you
have better coaches and have played against better teams

It starts with little league, JV sports, high school sports,
especially football and basketball. There are sports camps for the
better players. Then if you are good you get recruited by the
colleges and given sports scholarships. If you live through that and
are still in one piece you may get recruited for the pros.

Except for little league the taxpayers or alumni pay for the training.

Sounds like the European culinary apprenticeship tradition.
--
Susan N.