Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Abel Dan Abel is offline

Default The scandal of $50k culinary degrees

In article >,
Mr. Bill > wrote:

> Who paid for basket ball school or football school?.....No one
> does...it you have the talent, no piece of paper will make you
> qualified to walk across the street..and the best you might hope for
> is to be able to say..."can I supersize that for you?"

Don't know about BB, but football in the US is Big Business. The alumni
generally pay for the schooling. Most pro football players go to four
years of college first. The main qualification for many football
players is height and 250 pounds of solid muscle, including that huge
muscle between the ears. They often attend few if any classes. It's
football and parties. Their success is measured on the field, not in
class. They get scholarships that pay for everything. Some alumni buy
cars. Title to the cars stays with the buyer, but the player gets to
use them as though they owned them.

There are exceptions, of course. Some college players go to class and
get an education. They know that only the best get offered a pro
contract. And only those who succeed well in the pros get real playing
time and last more than a few years.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA