Posted to rec.food.cooking
ImStillMags ImStillMags is offline
Banned

Default The scandal of $50k culinary degrees

On Aug 20, 2:59*pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:

> Start with your local Community Colleges or Public Trade schools for your
> basic certificates I sanitation understanding - Then continue along the
> lines and start working.
>
> Dimitri

You are correct Dimitri. The only thing most culinary schools can
teach you is 'technique', knife skills and basic formulas of how to
make stock, how to make a roux, etc.etc.etc. Restaurant management
and kitchen management are courses where even the least skilled in
cooking can at least learn things that would help them in a 'career'.

Cooking something that actually tastes good and is pleasing to the eye
is an ART, a SKILL, I like to call it a KNACK.

That is inherent in a person. You cannot teach the knack for
cooking. That is why there are so very many 'chefs' who
never rise beyond 'cook'. I have personally hired 'chefs' who have
the degree, the piece of paper, but no knack and not
a lot of sense of what goes with what and what compliments this
ingredient. They couldn't cook their way out of a paper bag.

So.....big bucks for a fancy degree from a major culinary school is
great certification. But you better have the innate knowing to make
it work if you want to climb up the culinary ladder.

go to these acadamies and never make it as actual head or even sous
chefs.