Posted to rec.food.cooking
Giusi Giusi is offline

Default The scandal of $50k culinary degrees

"notbob" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On 2010-08-20, Giusi > wrote:
>

>> slave these days as an apprentice for 10 years before they actually cook
>> anything?

> Nonsense.
>
> The current head chef of Brasserie Les Halles, Tony Bourdain's former
> job, was a Mexican immigrant who started at the bottom, there, and
> worked up to exectutive chef in only 8 yrs. Tony profiled him on one
> episode of his show.
>
> On the other hand, I worked with an aspiring cook who was already a
> line cook for a former Iron Chef America contestant and that chef, his
> boss, recommended the young man go to Johnson and Wales, a rather
> pricey school and the chef's former school. I thought that was pretty
> weird advice, but the last I heard, the young cook left cooking in the
> chef's restaurant is now at J&W. So obviously, some chefs have
> different hiring/training criteria.

Two stories do not a history make. Most of the chefs I know here
apprenticed. They earned almost nothing for years and years and they
weren't given anything to cook until they'd proved themselves.

Most chefs I know in the US went to school. They have to move as quickly as
possible toward that $120000 a year job or they will go under from tuition
debt. It doesn't make sense for cookery schools to cost the same as law
schools but the pay when working averages a small fraction of a lawyer's
pay.