Posted to rec.food.cooking
A Moose In Love A Moose In Love is offline

Default The scandal of $50k culinary degrees

On Aug 20, 2:42*pm, "Giusi" > wrote:
> "Julian Vrieslander" *ha scritto nel messaggio
>
> > Thinking of going to culinary school? *Read this first.

> > <http://crosscut.com/2010/08/20/education/20074/The-scandal-of-$50,000-cu
> > linary--degrees--/>

> It's really inexcusable, but how many kids are you going to convince to
> slave these days as an apprentice for 10 years before they actually cook
> anything?

The money's not too good in the field. Why anyone would want to be a
pro cook is beyond me(sort of). I can understand if the individual
wants to gravitate towards becoming a boss; sous chef or ex. chef. I
wanted to be a pro cook because I liked cooking. I sold out and left
the trade and went to machinists school. To be a cook, a pro cook you
need to be an idealist. Spending 50K is like way out there. I didn't
even really go to school. I took a 10 week course in gourmet cooking
at a community college. Then I went to school while an apprentice.
A person should be a pretty good cook after a three year
apprenticeship.(assuming the person is interested in the field) He/
she should know the basics. That doesn't mean that they can go into
any restaurant (after apprenticeship) and the first day send out
masterpieces.