Max Hauser

Default Insanity of the wine industry

"Mark Lipton" in ...
> Dale Williams wrote:
> > In article >,

> > (Bill Spohn) writes:
> >
> >>As we are talking about wine stories, I find Roald Dahl a wry writer,

and his
> >>"A Matter of Taste" is (IMHO anyway) a minor masterpiece - do you know

it?

> > I'm not Max, but I love that story. I think of it every time at a blind

tasting
> > I find myself trying to catch a glimpse of the cork, or looking where

the cover
> > is loose

> For my part, I think of Dorothy Sayers' "The Bibulous Business of a
> Matter of Taste," another very amusing short story.

I recently arrived on this computer, a little tired, and what follows below
is from memory. (You've only mere integrity on that.)

Is Dahl's "Matter of Taste" the story where the phony drawing-room expert,
under an important wager he has contrived,"discerns" the Bordeaux (very
slowly and Hitchcockianly with a river and a bridge etc.) from what turns
out ultimately to be a good look at the b*ttle (don't want to spoil it for
anyone)? If not then I don't know it. (Though the one I do remember is not
without parallels in the contemporary US, if i may say). (Other and wiser
lands, of course, lack such defects. :-)

Did you read Dahl's interview in (I think it's called) Bin Ends at the end
of _Decanter,_ about 1990? Very articulate on the changes in the UK
consumer wine market since the 1950s. I have it readily on file (on paper)
and could quote.

I don't recognize the Sayers story by title, though I do appreciate Sayers
much and read most of her stories with much pleasure, she was surely the
most scholarly of the entre-deux-guerres British detective fiction writers
and thy mention hath earned thee less yet, less even yet, than Pavlov's dogs
got: A quotation!

--
Knowing that in country places it is always considered proper to see the
church, Lord Peter expressed his eagerness to do so. "It's always open

-- Dorothy Sayers, "The undignified melodrama of the bone of contention," in
_Lord Peter,_ Harper & Row, 1987 (ISBN 0060913800). Not from online.

("Arf!")