Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
[email protected] jesskidden@LYC0S.C0M is offline

Default 15 Year Old Beer Tasting Notes

Joel wrote:
> Gorio > wrote:
>> I agree on the Belhaven S. ale. I disagree with the Mackesons. It sucks.
>> I thought the sweetness would come come dark malt; but they obviously
>> use some lighter stuff to boost the sweet.

> Keep in mind his reviews are 15 years old. I know Mackeson
> was brewed in Cincinnati at some point, so you guys may be
> talking about somewhat different beers.

Pretty sure the "brewed under license" US version (done for Royal
Imports by Boston Beer Co.) didn't come about until after then-Interbrew
bought Whitbread in the UK circa 2000-1, so a 15 year old review would
have probably have been of the UK exported version (which was stronger
than the UK domestic version IIRC). The Lion also brewed Mackeson for a
while in the mid-2000's- but I think their version was only the 22/24 oz
bottles.

But, Gorio complaining that the sweetness of Mackeson's didn't come from
"dark malt" but from "some lighter stuff" seems a bit off seeing as
Mackeson was *the* classic example of "milk stout" and so, by
definition, used lactose as sweetening ingredient.