Mike Tommasi

Default Insanity of the wine industry

On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 23:36:21 GMT, "Vincent Vega"
> wrote:

>Try this: and thank you for your curiousity. Please let me know their
>response.
>
>Let me ask you this. A Rielsing is 13% alcohol and has a residual sugar of
>2%. That means the grape needed to be harvested above 25-26 brix, to get
>these numbers. And in Germany, Im assuming the grapes had to hang a really
>long time to get this high so you know the PH is through the roof.
>We all know that sugar masks acidity. Therefore a wine with with residual
>sugar will taste less acidic.

Someone asked about German Kabinett, for Riesling you need at least
18-19 depending on region.

To get 13+2 potential alcohol, you need 23 Brix. That would be a
Kabinett. No particularly long hanging.

At 25-26 brix you are already at the Auslese level. I have never
tasted an Auslese that lacked acidity. And acidification is not
allowed on QmP. I don't believe they need to acidify, if anything,
they might want to deacidify...

Mike Tommasi, Six Fours, France
email link http://www.tommasi.org/mymail