Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Abel Dan Abel is offline

Default Electric Coffee Percolator?

In article >,
George > wrote:

> On 8/15/2010 7:20 PM, phaeton wrote:

> > What made me think of this was last weekend, when at my girlfriend's
> > aunt's cabin, she made us all coffee in an oldish electric
> > percolator. She used just regular unspecial Folgers ground coffee and
> > it was the most lovely cup I'd had in quite some time. Bold tasting,
> > well bodied, had some octane to it but wasn't too strong or acidic
> > tasting*.
> >

> Maybe you were thinking happy thoughts being at the cabin or something
> so somehow percolated coffee tasted better?

That was my first thought.

> There is a pretty good
> reason why percolators are next to extinct.

It's pretty clear that ADC have a theoretical advantage, since you
aren't boiling the coffee that's already gone through. Additionally,
prices don't seem all that much different. Still, percolators weren't
all that horrible, so I think they are extinct for fashion reasons as
much as anything else.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA