Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Electric Coffee Percolator?

Food SnobŪ wrote:

>>> A $40 coffee maker is penny wise and pound foolish, IMHO. Even
>>> inexpensive coffee, purchased as whole beans, makes pretty decent coffee
>>> in a pretty decent coffee maker.

> Cheap coffee makes crappy coffee, if you're meaning cheap like
> Folger's or 8 O'Clock. The Java Delight at SuperValu stores * is
> pretty good, and it's usually $4.97/12oz.

I had to shake y head a few months ago. My brother and his wife have a
friend who seems to have an inordinate amount of influence over them. He
He had complained about all the coffee the waste by making large pots
and only having a cup or two, so suggested that he should get a French
press for brewing a cup or two at a time. It was not until their friend
suggested it that it was a good idea. Then he complained about the
coffee it made. I told him to use coarse ground coffee. On no, it
couldn't be the coffee because their son had got some Starbucks for it.

> I used to have a Cuisinart that ground the coffee. It was a hassle to
> clean each time, and quite a bit of coffee got wasted each time inside
> the grinding part. The grinder broke after a few years. I used the
> thing for several years after that, using a separate grinder.

I have an Oster burr grinder. It does a great job. I don't go for
combination machines. Sure, it takes up less counter or storage space
having a two in one appliance, but when one of them dies you lose two
appliance.

>> The "keep warm" feature on really cheap drip coffee makers can be bad
>> news. With age, they get too hot. Even new, they burn the coffee in a
>> few hours.

> A few hours? I turn it off as soon as the coffee is finished.

When I make drip coffee in the machine I usually turn it off after 15-20
minutes.