Posted to rec.food.cooking
George[_1_] George[_1_] is offline

Default Electric Coffee Percolator?

On 8/16/2010 10:48 AM, brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 09:03:30 -0400, >
> wrote:
>
>> On 8/15/2010 7:20 PM, phaeton wrote:
>>> My some-years-old Black N Decker drip coffeemaker sprang a leak while
>>> I was vinegaring it out yesterday, thus destroying the delicate
>>> ecosystem of my countertop. I'm considering replacing it with an
>>> electric percolator. I see them for around $40 at misc stores, such
>>> as Sears.
>>>
>>> What made me think of this was last weekend, when at my girlfriend's
>>> aunt's cabin, she made us all coffee in an oldish electric
>>> percolator. She used just regular unspecial Folgers ground coffee and
>>> it was the most lovely cup I'd had in quite some time. Bold tasting,
>>> well bodied, had some octane to it but wasn't too strong or acidic
>>> tasting*.

>> There is a pretty good reason why percolators are next to extinct.

> Whast an uninformed and angry statement.
>
> Percolators are far from extinct, many households have and use them.
> Anyone who goes camping uses percolators.

I remember people dragging percolators along on camping trips when I was
a kid but times have changed. There are numerous little drip basket
gizmos that are designed for a smaller filter that you can use to make
coffee when camping or on the road or even devices such as this if you
aren't backpacking:

http://www.rei.com/product/736980

I personally can't remember the last time I saw a percolator in use in
someones home.

Anyone who lives where
> power outages are common and has gas cooking uses percolators. Many

Really? they couldn't or wouldn't already be using these commonly used
coffee makers?

http://shop.melitta.com/search.asp?SKW=MACM

or maybe this

http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-1548-01U...1974105&sr=8-1