Posted to rec.food.cooking
spamtrap1888 spamtrap1888 is offline

Default Electric Coffee Percolator?

On Aug 15, 7:46*pm, Gorio > wrote:
> Peaches;1519145 Wrote:
>

> > "Dan Abel" wrote in message
> ...-
> > In article
> > ,
> > phaeton wrote:
> > -
> > electric percolator. *I see them for around $40 at misc stores, such
> > as Sears.

> > Anyone here use one of these?
> > -
> > Not for decades. *They worked OK, but they boil the coffee. *The
> > problem
> > with drip makers is that they need to keep the water in the filter
> > long
> > enough to extract the flavor from the coffee, but not so long that
> > they
> > overflow. *A ten cup maker is not going to keep two or three cups of
> > water with the coffee long enough.
> > -
> > 3) I know I can get another crappy drip model (like a 5-cup one) for
> > about $10 and it'll make coffee for a few years just fine before
> > blowing up. *The percolators I'm looking at are 4 times as much.
> > However, it looks like the way percolators are made that they'll last
> > decades. *Am I wrong?-

> > A nice four cup drip maker is US$20. *If it lasts five years and then
> > dies, that's one penny a day. *When you look at what coffee costs,
> > that's nothing. *It's been a long time, but I don't remember the
> > electric percolators lasting all that long.
> > -
> > Thanks for any help and advice.-

> > HTH.

> > --
> > Dan Abel
> > Petaluma, California USA
> > -

> > Have you tried the French Press type? I have one that I use quite a bit
> > of
> > the time, makes a lovely cuppa

> > Peaches

> Yeah, the press is my baby. I find them at Goodwillall the time.
>
> It should be mentioned that percolated (boiled) coffee is crrelated to
> esophogeal cancer. The press is so basic and makes such good coffee,
> it's the choice for me.

Both perked and French press coffee may contribute to heart disease:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6242467

"But a cholesterol check may be in order for people who use a French
press or percolator to make their coffee or who prefer espresso or
other varieties of unfiltered coffee, according to Dr. Michael J.
Klag, the vice dean for clinical investigation at Johns Hopkins
University School of Medicine in Baltimore.

"In 2001, Klag and his colleagues reviewed more than a dozen studies
that looked at the relationship between coffee consumption and
cholesterol levels. They found that drinking an average of six cups of
coffee a day was associated with increased total cholesterol and LDL,
the harmful type of cholesterol. Nearly all of the rise in cholesterol
was linked to unfiltered coffee. "