Vincent Vega

Default Insanity of the wine industry

>The cool maritime climate promotes a higher acidity and
> much less ripening than arid eastern WA.

Acidity is reduced as ripening increases. It is a fairly linear process.

> But aside from that minor issue, your points are well taken.
>
> So, a valid question is... What is the brix of a typical German off dry
> Riesling? And what is the great destoyer of acid? Is it is high brix and

high
> alcohol, as Vincent suggests?

I never suggested that high brix and high alcohol destroys acid. High brix
and high alcohol is a good representation of how long the grapes were left
to hang/how late the harvest was.

You said you dont know much about winemaking so I will explain the basics
incase you might be confused.
Yeast eat sugar --- the by-product is alcohol (among other things)
A dry wine is a wine fermented to 0 residual sugar (not sure if wine
drinkers have the same definition)
If a wine starts with about 22 brix and the yeast eat all of the sugar you
will end up with 12% alcohol. I hope everyone here is in agreement to
this
If an off dry wine has 2% residual sugar (and no sugar was added) and a 12%
alcohol it would have had to start at about 26 brix. A wine with 2%
residual and 10% alcohol probably started at about 24 brix. A wine at 14.5
% alcohol and no residual sugar would start at about 27 brix.