Steve Grant

Default The Hideous Hog - OT (was: Insanity of the wine industry)

"Tom S" > wrote in message

> "Ian Hoare" > wrote in message
> > Salut/Hi Tom S,
> >
> > le/on Thu, 08 Apr 2004 01:58:06 GMT, tu disais/you said:-
> > >The problem is, you are both abrasive and condescending - not to

mention
> > >somewhat inaccurate.

> > Somewhat? SOMEWHAT??? Tom, I've not known you as the master of the
> > understated murmur!

> My laugh for the day, Ian! :^D
>
> > >You'd be welcome here if you were simply _nicer_.

> > Chuckle....
> >
> > > but if you step in with guns blazing you're going to get it back - in

> spades!
> >
> > No trumps.
> >
> > I think we've just about got him in a hexagon squeeze.

> ??? _Is_ there actually such a play? First I've heard of it.
>
> The OT part:
> I wonder how many here are acquainted with the exploits of the Hideous

Hog,
> from the late Victor Mollo's "Bridge in the Menagerie" series of stories?

> know that Ian and I are, as we've discussed this topic before. Food and
> wine are usually part of the scene during the postgame discussions, which
> describe in hilarious detail the gaffes and foibles at the card table of
> various denizens of the local bridge club. Often the Hog sketches a hand
> diagram on a napkin while draining someone else's glass of wine. It makes
> for great reading if you're into contract bridge.

The Hideous Hog is indeed an icon of the bridge literature. Author Mollo
occasionally uses wine as a dramatic prop in recounting HH's exploits (which
are usually psychological rather than technical).

I don't happen to share Tom's enthusiasm for Mollo's writing, but I'm in a
tiny minority.