Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Abel Dan Abel is offline

Default Electric Coffee Percolator?

In article >,
"Steve Freides" > wrote:

> phaeton wrote:

> > I'm considering replacing it with an
> > electric percolator. I see them for around $40 at misc stores, such
> > as Sears.

> A $40 coffee maker is penny wise and pound foolish, IMHO. Even
> inexpensive coffee, purchased as whole beans, makes pretty decent coffee
> in a pretty decent coffee maker.
>
> A Cuisinart Grind 'n' Brew will set you back about $120 - I saw a
> refurbished one online for $90 - but you can put whole beans into it the
> night before and have it make freshly ground and freshly brewed coffee
> for you every morning. Freshly ground makes a difference.

Freshly ground is much better. I'm not sure I'd pay the money or deal
with it, though.

> Another reason to get the Grind 'n' Brew or similar is that it uses a
> thermal carafe, not a heater - anything that heats your already brewed
> coffee is just going to make it worse - the carafe keeps it hot for
> hours. It's still a drip coffee maker, just one that grinds first and
> then keeps the coffee hot in a thermal carafe.

The "keep warm" feature on really cheap drip coffee makers can be bad
news. With age, they get too hot. Even new, they burn the coffee in a
few hours. My present coffee maker turns off the warmer after two
hours. Sometimes I turn it off earlier. My microwave is just across
the kitchen, and that reheats the coffee just fine. Phaeton says he
just wants one cup to drink and enough to fill his travel mug.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA