Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Abel Dan Abel is offline

Default Electric Coffee Percolator?

In article
phaeton > wrote:

> electric percolator. I see them for around $40 at misc stores, such
> as Sears.
>
> Anyone here use one of these?

Not for decades. They worked OK, but they boil the coffee. The problem
with drip makers is that they need to keep the water in the filter long
enough to extract the flavor from the coffee, but not so long that they
overflow. A ten cup maker is not going to keep two or three cups of
water with the coffee long enough.

> 3) I know I can get another crappy drip model (like a 5-cup one) for
> about $10 and it'll make coffee for a few years just fine before
> blowing up. The percolators I'm looking at are 4 times as much.
> However, it looks like the way percolators are made that they'll last
> decades. Am I wrong?

A nice four cup drip maker is US$20. If it lasts five years and then
dies, that's one penny a day. When you look at what coffee costs,
that's nothing. It's been a long time, but I don't remember the
electric percolators lasting all that long.

> Thanks for any help and advice.

HTH.

--
Dan Abel