Posted to rec.food.cooking
Steve Freides[_2_] Steve Freides[_2_] is offline

Default Electric Coffee Percolator?

phaeton wrote:
> My some-years-old Black N Decker drip coffeemaker sprang a leak while
> I was vinegaring it out yesterday, thus destroying the delicate
> ecosystem of my countertop. I'm considering replacing it with an
> electric percolator. I see them for around $40 at misc stores, such
> as Sears.

A $40 coffee maker is penny wise and pound foolish, IMHO. Even
inexpensive coffee, purchased as whole beans, makes pretty decent coffee
in a pretty decent coffee maker.

A Cuisinart Grind 'n' Brew will set you back about $120 - I saw a
refurbished one online for $90 - but you can put whole beans into it the
night before and have it make freshly ground and freshly brewed coffee
for you every morning. Freshly ground makes a difference.

Another reason to get the Grind 'n' Brew or similar is that it uses a
thermal carafe, not a heater - anything that heats your already brewed
coffee is just going to make it worse - the carafe keeps it hot for
hours. It's still a drip coffee maker, just one that grinds first and
then keeps the coffee hot in a thermal carafe.

We did the above for years using very inexpensive, supermarket bought,
whole bean coffee - we just made sure it was 100% Arabica beans, which
most are.

-S-