Default Culantro, recao, aji, etc (Was: ..."boliche")

http://icuban.com/food/comida.html

> Sandra

Aggghhhh... their flan has condensed milk... ptoooey!

Here is a recipe for real flan, no condensed milk:

2 cups whole milk
1 lemon peel
1 stick cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
6 egg yolks
3 egg whites
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla

q/s sugar for caramel

Heat the milk with the cinnamon, lemon peel and salt. Make a light color
caramel and pour into a suitable mold, covering the sides. Let cool. Beat the
egg yolks and whites with the sugar and vanilla. Add to the milk. Strain the
mix and pour into the mold. Cook in a double boiler (Bain Marie) until a
toothpick introduced in the middle comes out dry. You can cook it in an oven
at 350 degrees F for about an hour. Unmold carefully after letting it cool. It
is fragile.

You can cook it in individual molds. This makes it easier to unmold without it
breaking up.

Known as "tembleque" in Puerto Rico.