Gorio Gorio is offline
Senior Member

Location: WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwine View Post
The real shining star is the craft brewing industry who are jumping leaps and bounds over the big boys as far as growth. Its an interesting time for them.....
Interesting you say this. A few weeks ago I was in my favorite beverage mart and saw a guy unloading cases of a beer that runs $10 a case (I ain't talking a 12 pack). I asked him if he ever tried it (Lost Lake). He said that he made it. The guy makes the beer and hires a canner to put it in cans. I generally hate cans; but, after talking to the owner of the store, it was affirmed this guy makes and delivers his brew. Bought a case, and it's one of the best quaffing beers out there. Beats the heck out of Lite or (gulp) Bud Light , which I despise more than probably any other beer. I usually don't buy those lighter beers as I'm a dark lager/al fan. This was made by a human and it was pretty decent for what it is. At $10/case, you can't expect miracles.

I think that weiss(wheat) beers are going by the wayside. I hope to see beers that showcase the malt, as opposed to the hops. The knock against our microbrews is overreliance on hops and too much "hop character." The best on this planet (Belgium) age their hops and use them sparingly. The better the malt, the less one needs to rely on hops.

I like that they are going after the cheap markets. I owe it to a friend to mention that Joe Huber, who (in 1947)took over another brewery in Monroe, WI, was the father of American microbrews. He had cheap stuff for many years, and entered the market to compete against the better Euro brew with Augsburger in the 80's. No, it wasn't as good as Urquell or DAB, but it was a nice start, with prices to match. He died a few years back; but he opened my eyes to dark lagers and such. He wasn't afraid to take calculated chances. You can still buy Berghoff; but it doesn't compete well with Euro stuff because our tax structure makes it impossible for our brews to compete with the imports.

Want great American beer? Try New Glarus-Spotted Cow, and the Euro award winning, Belgian Red. I'm cheering for the USA, as Michael Jackson (the beer man, not the panzee that died) once said that the US was the best place to drink beer, as we have stuff from everywhere; unlike most European places. There are many more great beers made in the US; just have to look past the hype and pretty bottles to get them.

Freshaness dating is the biggest scam in brewing. Most beers need time to reach their potential. Try that Bud Select crap and you'll know what I'm saying. My store will have a clearance from distributors every week and, for $10/case, you may end up with Guiness, Grolsch, Urquell, among other American microbrews. I'm drinking a New Belium (Ft. Collins, CO) for that price. Good , dark ale. The best? NO. But for ten beans I'm enjoying it. Would I buy it at $6 / a sixer. No.

Last edited by Gorio : 12-08-2010 at 04:03 AM