Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wilson[_3_] Wilson[_3_] is offline

Default Spaetzle maker questions

On 08/09/10 1:47 PM, sometime in the recent past notbob posted this:
> On 2010-08-09, > wrote:
>>
>> So the questions: Am I using the thing wrong (I just filled it up and
>> slid it back and forth)? Do I have the wrong batter consistency (like a
>> slightly thicker pancake batter)? Is this machine just a piece of junk
>> compared to expen$ive ones?

> I would think a lot of it has to do with the type/culture of spaetzle
> you are making:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sp%C3%A4tzle
>
> The coolest method I've seen was on an old episode of The Great Chefs
> where some big ol' fat German lady made it by grabbing up a thick
> paste of dough on a wide flat spatula and, with a straight knife in
> her other hand, raked/sliced thin noodle pieces of dough off the
> spatula into boiling water. Talk about Old World skill!
>
> nb

My German great-grandmother just mixed the sticky batter up in a bowl, took
a butter knife and began to slowly pour the batter into the water. As soon
as a bit began to go over the edge of the bowl, she ran the knife along the
bowl edge and plop, that bit went into the rolling boiling water. Very
simple, very slick - no water dipping or extra kitchenry to gitter done.

--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3