Gorio Gorio is offline
Senior Member

Location: WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy Hamilton[_2_] View Post
On Aug 10, 3:10*am, "Giusi" wrote:
"cshenk" ha scritto nel messaggio "Stu" wrote
"cshenk" wrote:

Stu, most here don't even own a crockpot or if they did, never learned
to use it *right*. *It's like dissing a cast iron pan because it can
rust if
you don't know what you are doing.

I got my first one in 1977 and learned how to use it properly over
thedecades.

You learned to make food to your taste in it. *Admit that you prefer Asian
effects, where browning is not so important?

All I wondered was how they could denegate such a great product as the
crockpot when they don't even own one.

Lots of reasons but mostly lack of knowledge.

I had a crockpot for many years because my life
was so busy I needed to be able to turn my back on the cooking sometimes. *I
successfully made any number of things in it, but overall, when it came time
to move I realized there was nothing I could do in it that I couldn't do
without it, and I didn't move it.

Some of us do not have them not because of ignorance, but because we don't
like what they make well enough. *It's always wet cooking and sometimes just
too wet.

Agreed. While I like a good braise as well as anybody, I don't like
them all
that often. And, really, it's usually cool weather when I crave
braised food,
and I generally use the oven for it.

I have a slow cooker, and use it about once a year. The results are
satisfactory, but not life-changing. I store it in the basement.

The gas grill, however, sees year-round use (except when it's below 20
or too windy).

Cindy Hamilton
I take mine to pot lucks and that's about it. I like the Nesco much more for cooking as I can put a shoulder roast and a chicken in there at 175 degrees and in several hours, it will be falling apart. Very little liquid. I have though, made pork and kraut in the crock that turned out well. Not the most exciting appliance, but I found its popularity a nice answer to the previously deified microwave. Yuck!