Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger[_1_] Bob Terwilliger[_1_] is offline

Default Cooking a beef stew in slow cooker

aem wrote:

> Also discussed here at some length has been that crockpot design
> changed to make them operate at higher temperature. Real cooks
> noticed and fretted and compensated where possible, and discarded
> previously successful recipes where it wasn't possible.

That's the main problem I have with crockpots today. Even on the low
setting, it's still hot enough to boil water. I find that unacceptable for
most slow-cooked dishes. My big electric frying pan is the slow cooker of
choice nowadays because it's got a continuously-variable temperature
control.

Bob