Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cooking a beef stew in slow cooker

aem wrote:

>>> All I wondered was how they could denegate such a great product as the
>>> crockpot when they don't even own one.

>> Lots of reasons but mostly lack of knowledge.

> Not so. There have been many many threads that have shown that in the
> right hands and with the right recipe a crockpot can produce good
> food. Hardly anyone doubts that.

I know lots of people who can cook lots of different ways. I admit to
not owning a slow cooker. I have never seen any reason to get one. I
have never had anything cooked in a slow cooker that could not have been
cooked on a stove or in an oven. I don't see much point in spending
money on an appliance and having to store it somewhere if it takes
special procedures to be used right.

> What are dissed are the bad cooks who forget basic principles just
> because they use a crockpot. So they produce bland mush and brag
> about how convenient it is. What are dissed are the multitude of
> recipes which pay no attention to the different cooking times that
> different components should get. What are dissed are people who say
> flat out wrong things like,
> " Browning of meat is generally to seal in juices when a high heat
> is used. Since crockpots
> generally 'steam infuse' meats, it's redundant with most recipies to
> do that. "

I was curious about that comment, When I Googled "steam infuse" I got
sites that talked about hair. When I added "cooking" to the the search
parameter I got a site that talked about steam infusion with pressure
cookers, not slow cookers...... slow cooking, low heat... no steam.

> There are some here who have posted convincingly about how to get good
> results from this appliance. The person who wrote the above quote is
> not convincing.

The slow cooker food I have had sure hasn't impressed me.