Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Spaetzle maker questions

isw wrote:

> And let's not talk about the cleanup, OK?
>
> So the questions: Am I using the thing wrong (I just filled it up and
> slid it back and forth)? Do I have the wrong batter consistency (like a
> slightly thicker pancake batter)? Is this machine just a piece of junk
> compared to expen$ive ones?

It might be the consistency of your batter. I have one and it works
fine. It has to be firm enough not to fall through freely but loose
enough that it will go through without having to force it. If steam is
a problem don't fill the pot so high that it is going to be that close,
If it is cooking the batter in the slider it must be scalding your hands
too.

There is no precise consistency for Spaetzle batter. My German
friend's mother used to make it quite firm and would then slice it off
the edge of the board into the water. I have also tried the method that
Guy Fieri did on his show, rolling it out and then slicing it up into
squares, rectangles or diamonds.