Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Default Cooking a beef stew in slow cooker

On Aug 9, 4:15 pm, "cshenk" > wrote:
> "Stu" wrote
> > All I wondered was how they could denegate such a great product as the
> > crockpot when they don't even own one.

> Lots of reasons but mostly lack of knowledge.

Not so. There have been many many threads that have shown that in the
right hands and with the right recipe a crockpot can produce good
food. Hardly anyone doubts that.

What are dissed are the bad cooks who forget basic principles just
because they use a crockpot. So they produce bland mush and brag
about how convenient it is. What are dissed are the multitude of
recipes which pay no attention to the different cooking times that
different components should get. What are dissed are people who say
flat out wrong things like,
" Browning of meat is generally to seal in juices when a high heat
is used. Since crockpots
generally 'steam infuse' meats, it's redundant with most recipies to
do that. "

> Crockpots were all the rage in the late 70's and early 1980's but finding
> ones with removable liners were hard so many put them at the side after one
> or 2 uses and ignored them ever after. Although some here know how to use
> them to good effect, this is not a commonality of the group.

Also discussed here at some length has been that crockpot design
changed to make them operate at higher temperature. Real cooks
noticed and fretted and compensated where possible, and discarded
previously successful recipes where it wasn't possible.

There are some here who have posted convincingly about how to get good
results from this appliance. The person who wrote the above quote is
not convincing. -aem