Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin' Melba's Jammin' is offline

Default Spaetzle maker questions

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> On 2010-08-09, isw > wrote:
> >
> > So the questions: Am I using the thing wrong (I just filled it up and
> > slid it back and forth)? Do I have the wrong batter consistency (like a
> > slightly thicker pancake batter)? Is this machine just a piece of junk
> > compared to expen$ive ones?

> I would think a lot of it has to do with the type/culture of spaetzle
> you are making:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sp%C3%A4tzle
>
> The coolest method I've seen was on an old episode of The Great Chefs
> where some big ol' fat German lady made it by grabbing up a thick
> paste of dough on a wide flat spatula and, with a straight knife in
> her other hand, raked/sliced thin noodle pieces of dough off the
> spatula into boiling water. Talk about Old World skill!
>
> nb

Yup. Mom made her halushky that way. I've done it; not so tough once
you establish the rhythm, dipping the knife into the water between cuts.
I prefer my "regular" struhadlo for them, though. And there's this:
http://www.bowerykitchens.com/spaetzlemaker.html

THAT one, however, can get you a helluva steam burn if you're not
careful. Caveat emptor.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of