Posted to rec.food.cooking
ImStillMags ImStillMags is offline
Banned

Default I'm a lousy cook on the grill, or over-cooked bland steak

On Aug 8, 12:10*pm, "Cheryl" > wrote:

*Can't remember the
> cut but it was pretty lean and thin. *Looked tasty raw, and even when I took
> it off the grill it had red juices sitting on top of it which made me think
> I didn't over-cook it.

Lean is not the problem, thin probably was. The fact that the juices
were coming out of the steak
is the clue that it was overcooked. You want your grill screaming
hot to sear the steak on both
sides before moving it to a cooler space or turning the grill down to
finish. Searing seals the steak
and keeps it juicy. When you can see beads of blood/juice on the
surface the meat is overdone.

In your case searing the steak on both sides was probably all the
cooking it required. After taking
it off the grill and resting it for a bit it probably would have been
quite done.