Vincent Vega

Default 2000 Barolos, etc

Last year I was invited to an exclusive wine tasting where 8 aged barolos
were sampled. I believe the oldest was from the late 60's and the youngest
was 1984. As I said before, I dont know much about wines of the world but
the oldest wines were just about undrinkable. They were extremely oxidized
and smelled like acidic acid. The color must have dropped from them years
ago. While the company I was with was raving about how exciting and
flavorful they were I kept my mouth shut and was thinking to myself 'if a
winery outside of the Piedmont region and didnt have a reputation they would
have to dump this stuff down the drain'. The younger wines were fairly good
big reds. I recently drank a '97 barolo (not sure of the winery) but, to my
tastes, it was better than any of the aged wines.