Gorio Gorio is offline
Senior Member

Location: WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeancurdTurtle View Post
I found this going through the archives of my old websites. These are
beer tasting notes I wrote back in the early days of the post-text
Internet - middle to late 90's. I was very active in
rec.food.drink.beer back then.

So I read through them, and was mildly amused by my superfluous
writing style. In any case, there's comedy and some value in the
content. There's a couple tasting notes for beers you can't get any
more - like Rhodenbach Alexander (I cried when I found it was
discontinued). There's a resurrected beer, production stopped and
later resumed - Xingu, which I haven't tried in the resurrected
version. There's a beer that was good 15 years ago, but has since
become crap - Pyramid Apricot Ale. And there's quite a few beers you
can still get - but I haven't tried recently.

Consume with tongue in cheek: My Beer Tasting Notes

Cheers,
--
Daniel
I agree with most. You might have tried some of the Austrian dark lagers (Gosser, Stiegl festival dark).

I agree on the Belhaven S. ale. I disagree with the Mackesons. It sucks. I thought the sweetness would come come dark malt; but they obviously use some lighter stuff to boost the sweet.

German Pilsners are inferior. I like DAB's standard brau, but Pilz lovers might be better off staying in the Czech (Volkopopvicky, Golden pheasant and such are quality pilz.)

I also love it when beer publications almost never talk about the Aass brewery in Norway. They just seem to do everything right...even pilsner. Their bocks and sweeter brews are unbveatable, though. I'd love to meet their maltster.

If you desire the red ale with cheerries, probably the best made brew in the US is New Glarus Belgian Red. Out-of-line good.